5 tips to amp up the natural benefits of your yard
It’s easy to appreciate the sights and smells afforded by lawns and landscapes, but when it comes to your yard there is much more to consider besides pleasing aesthetics and aromas. Many would even be surprised to learn that the benefits of a lush lawn and stunning landscape design extend well beyond a yard’s perimeter.
That’s right, well-managed landscapes offer tremendous benefits for the community and environment. Here are just a few:
* Scrubs the air: Beautiful greenery, including grass, catch dust, smoke particles and other pollutants to make the air you breathe fresher and cleaner.
* Protects waterways: Well-maintained yards and lawns help prevent soil erosion and unwanted runoff into nearby lakes, streams and rivers.
* Adds oxygen: A 50-by-50-foot lawn produces enough oxygen to supply a family of four.
* Boosts home values: The yard is the first thing a potential buyer sees, and it sets the first impression. If you plan to sell your home in the next few years, investing in your landscaping now can pay dividends later. A recent study by the National Association of REALTORS and National Association of Landscape Professionals found that investing in landscape maintenance recovers 100 percent of the cost at the time of sale!
* Makes you feel good: Having a nice yard with lush turf and well-tended landscapes delivers some mood-enhancing properties as well. Looking at plants and trees, even through a window, has been found to lower stress and blood pressure, while walking among plants and trees improves attention and memory.
Ideas to enhance your yard's natural benefits
Now that you know the benefits of your lawn and landscapes, you may be inspired to try some of these simple improvements to make it look and feel even better. Some of these can even save you time and effort, so you have more hours to spend outdoors.
* Mow properly: Raising the deck height of your lawn mower is one simple thing you can do right now to improve your green space. When mowing, the blade should remove no more than a 1/3 inch from the blade of grass.
* Mow at the right time: Professionals recommend to not mow right after it rains. Mowing wet grass will cause clumping and ruts. This also leaves the lawn more susceptible to certain diseases.
* Let the clippings drop: “Grass cycling” your clippings allows nitrogen and other nutrients to return to the soil. Even better, it eliminates the step of hauling around heavy bags of yard waste.
* Invest in smarter watering tools: An irrigation system saves time on watering chores, but one that uses smart technology and weather-based data will apply water only when your lawn and garden need it.
* Consider natural landscaping: The next time you choose flowers, shrubs or trees, opt for species native to your region. These plants have adapted to the climate, so they’re more resilient to your region’s weather patterns, and require less watering than exotic species.
With these tips, you have plenty to get started on creating a beautiful lawn and landscape that looks and feels even better. If you’re seeking fresh ideas to amp up your landscaping or want to maximize its full environmental and enjoyment benefits, consider turning to the expertise of a lawn care or landscape professional. With help from a professional, you can have the outdoor oasis of your dreams. To find a professional in your area, visit LoveYourLandscape.org. BPT
Outdoor Remodeling - Outdoor Fireplace - Kitchens Call K+B Builders Inc. 813-400-9660
Keywords: Home Remodeling Tampa, remodeling contractors tampa, remodeling contractors clearwater, remodeling contractors Lutz, remodeling contractor Oldsmar, remodeling contractors Odessa FL, remodeling contractors Belleair FL, remodeling contractors Clearwater Beach FL, Remodeling Contractors Wesley Chapel, Remodeling Contractor Tampa Bay Florida, Remodeling Contractors Land O Lakes Fl, remodeling contractors palm harbor Fl, remodeling contractors safety harbor, remodeling contractors St Petersburg FL, remodeling contractors plant city, remodeling contractors Wesley chapel fl, kitchen remodeling tampa, custom home builder lutz, home addition contractor tampa, home addition contractor lutz, home addition contractor odsmar, home addition contractor tampa, home addition contractor Odessa fl, home addition contractor tampa bay, home addition contractor Belleair fl, home addition contractor st Petersburg, home addition contractor clearwater beach, home addition contractor safety harbor, home addition contractor hyde park fl, home addition contractor Wesley chapel, home addition contractor Carrollwood fl, Outdoor remodeling Contractor Tampa, Outdoor Fireplace Tampa, Outdoor fireplace Oldsmar, Outdoor fireplace Lutz, Outdoor living Tampa Bay, Outdoor remodeling Tampa bay, Outdoor Remodeling Odessa, Outdoor Remodeling St Petersburg, Outdoor Fireplace St Petersburg